Thursday, April 28, 2011

Review: Virals



Tory Brennan is a science nerd, whose mother's recent death sent her to Morris Island to live with her scientist father.  There she quickly bonded with the island's three resident teenagers, boys named Ben, Shelton, and Hi.  Their peaceful existence is disturbed, however, when they attempt to rescue a puppy from animal experimentation.  The dog is carrying a mutated disease... and it's contagious.

Entertainment: ★★★★

I found it a little on the cheesy side but I loved Tory, I loved the occasional Bones tie-ins, and overall I enjoyed this book a lot.

Plot: ★★★★★

I saw the Big Bad Villain reveal coming,  but there were a few unexpected twists.  I thought the pacing was excellent, the scientific information was somewhat plausible and not at all overbearing or confusing, and I liked the ending.

Characters: ★★★★

I loved Tory to death, but I thought "the boys," as she collectively referred to her friends, just seemed to hang out as props and minions for Tory's crazy schemes instead of becoming people in and of themselves.  And I thought the villain was a little cliche and dumb.  So Tory gets five stars from me, I just wish the rest of the cast had been as cool.

Writing: ★★★★★

Well-paced, interesting, descriptive, enjoyable, exciting.

End Result: four stars.  A good book, definitely worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment