Sunday, April 17, 2011

Review: An Abundance of Katherines



When it comes to girls, every guy has a type.  Colin's type is girls named Katherine.  He's been dated by - and dumped by - nineteen Katherines.  When Katherine XIX breaks his heart, Colin's best friend Hassan decides he needs a break.  He needs a break from the pressures of being a child prodigy and more importantly he needs a break from Katherines and something to distract him.  After a spontaneous roadtrip, the two end up spending a crazy summer in the nowheresville of Gutshot, TN.

Meanwhile, Colin is working on his great project: a theorem for love.  Surely, if he can only find the right combination of variables, he can graph every relationship mathematically...

Entertainment: ★★★★★

I finished it in 3 hours... and I loved it.  End of story.

Plot: ★★★★★

It was wacky, fun, original, and okay, weird.  But in an amazing way.  It grabbed me and didn't let go until I finished the book, and even then left me wanting more.

Characters: ★★★★

I thought Colin was kind of an obnoxious prat.  That said, I loved Hassan and Lindsey and the various Katherines, as well as the side characters like TOC.  They were all bizarre but cool, clever, and realistic.

Writing: ★★★★

It was kind of weird to have the occasional graph mixed in with the writing, especially since I only skimmed the formula and so I didn't completely understand the diagrams.  However, Green's actual writing was amazing.  It's light-hearted and funny and just a little satirical at times, but still manages to be realistically serious about the important stuff.  I enjoy reading his work very much.

End Result: five stars.  A really excellent book.  Read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment