Thursday, April 14, 2011

Review: Mostly Good Girls

This book counts towards the What's in a Name? Challenge.



Violet and her best friend Katie attend an elite private girls' school.  Now in their junior year of high school, they're planning to meet boys, ace tests, and end up in the Ivies.  Violet expected a great year, but things aren't turning out that way at all.  Her long-time crush apparently isn't interested.  Her grades and test scores are below average for the cut-throat environment of her competitive school.  And Katie - perfect Katie with perfect PSAT scores and perfect grades and perfect everything - Katie's changing.  Violet can't understand why Katie, the girl with everything Violet wants, is throwing it all away...

Entertainment: ★★

I don't know, I just got bored.

Plot: ★★

So the plot was a cliche premise, with a cliche romance and a cliche climax and, well, it was cliche.  I don't know what else to say.  There was no real tension - it was pretty clear from the start how everything would work out.  I was disappointed at the lack of... anything.

Characters: ★

The main character was downright whiny.  Every few pages she was going on about how perfect her friend is and how unfair life is and blah blah blah.  If the character wants to angst, they should have something to angst about, and she didn't.  I don't usually actually dislike narrators, but in this case I did.  Completely.

The side characters were okay... nothing too impressive.  Or memorable.

Writing: ★★★

Sometimes well-done, sometimes forced.  The humor wasn't very funny to me.  I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy the style, somehow.

End Result: two stars.  I was not impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment