Saturday, June 18, 2011

Review: The False Princess

This book counts towards the Debut challenge.




Nalia is the princess - or at least she thought she was.  But upon turning sixteen, she discovers that she is in fact just a common girl, raised in the real princess's stead to keep her safe.  Turned out with a handful of coins and a new name, Sinda, she has to make her way in the real world now.

But the real world is a cruel place - more cruel than Sinda ever realized.  With the help of her budding magic powers, she discovers a sixteen-year-old conspiracy to steal the throne.  It's up to her to stop it... but what can one false princess do?

Entertainment: 

Although I wasn't a huge fan of the plot, it was an interesting premise, with fairly well-written characters and a nice writing style.  I ended up liking The False Princess, although I wasn't in love with it.

Plot: 

The plot was underwhelming - it started off quite interesting, but quickly became pedantic and predictable.

Characters: 

I liked some of the characters a lot; Kieran was cute & the villain was decently written.  I never really got a fix on Sinda, and I'm still not quite decided whether I liked her or not.  But the other characters were, overall, well-done.

Writing: 

The writing was tasteful, well-paced, interesting, and detailed without being slow or boring.  I liked it quite a lot.

End Result: three stars.  A decent book, but not amazingly excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment