Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Review: Breath of Angel

This book counts towards the Shapeshifter challenge and the Debut Author challenge.




Melaia lived a simple life as a priestess - until the day she sees the murder of a angel.  All of the stories - stories about angels and shape-shifters and immortals - are true.  Two immortal brothers, who destroyed the stairway to heaven, have been locked in combat for centuries.  The battle is beginning again, and the only way to bring peace is through "breath of angel, blood of man"... an ancient debt that can only be paid through sacrifice.

Entertainment: 

I enjoyed Breath of Angel.  It was a little short but exciting and enjoyable.  I liked the world-building - from the different types of angels to the social structure to the mythology.  The draks, in particular, stood out as startling and very unique. I liked the characters, too.  I plan to read the rest of the series as soon as it comes out.

Plot: 

Although it started off great, I found the ending a little - expected, I guess.  The last few chapters were a little disappointing, after such a cool beginning.

Characters: 

I loved Trevin, the (I presume) love interest, to death.  He was pretty awesome.  Many of the side characters, too, were unique, interesting, and entertaining.  I have to admit I didn't like Melaia herself all that much - although she was a great narrator, she wasn't a very likable character.  But I'd say that the other characters made up for that.

Writing: 

I enjoyed Henley's style very much.

End Result: four stars.  A good book, definitely worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment