Thursday, July 7, 2011

Review: Superior Saturday






On the sixth day, there was sorcery.


Arthur has five of the seven Keys, rules five sections of the House, and has rescued five parts of the Will.  It's all downhill from there, right?  Think again.  He's up against Superior Saturday, the strongest sorcerer in the House.  Saturday has been planning for millennia for the arrival of the Heir, and she's got a plan to stop him.  A plan that involves dissolving most of the House into the void called Nothing.  Arthur is under attack on all sides, with only questionable-at-best allies.  The Keys themselves seem to be working on him, changing him into an angry and arrogant person he doesn't want to be.  And on Saturday, even getting the sixth Key and the sixth part of the Will might not be enough to save him...

Entertainment: 

It seems as though the more I read about the world of the House, the more complex and interesting it gets.  As with the previous books in the series, Superior Saturday was an entertaining, exciting, and enjoyable read.

Plot: 

I have to say I didn't love this plot as much as I loved the others in the series.  It felt a little haphazard, and I didn't think there was nearly enough resolution at the end.

Characters: 

I think Arthur's struggle against the Keys is interesting, but it made me like him significantly less.  And in comparison to the previous books, many of the characters (including Saturday) were just a little lackluster, not as quirky and unique as their counterparts in the other books.

Writing: 

I can't complain about Nix's style, no matter what I have to say about the other aspects of the book.

End Result: four stars.  A good book, definitely worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment