Sunday, July 17, 2011

Review: Havemercy







In the generations-old war between Volstov and Ke-Han, the Dragon Corps are Volstov's greatest weapon.  They are a gang of mistfit young men astride monstrous metal dragons that wreak havok - in Ke-Han and in Volstov. 


The riders are getting harder and harder to control and the dragons themselves seem to have begun malfunctioning.  Four unlikely heroes will be forced together to save their country... if they survive each other.


Entertainment: ★★


Props for having an interesting premise, but it just moved so slowly.  I read not one, but two books at the same time, and I finished both before I could make myself finish Havemercy.  It was a book I could have liked, should have liked, but just couldn't bring myself to really like.


Plot: ★★


The plot started getting pretty good, at around 200 pages in.  The first half of the book just felt like some very elaborate scene-setting and background information.  And to be honest, I skimmed some of Hal and Royston's chapters.  Their narration was not very interesting.  At all.  So the plot in theory wasn't bad but in practice was very dry and didn't hold my attention at all.


Characters: ★★★★


Like I said above, Hal and Royston's chapters were a bit dull.  And their romance was pretty cheesy.


But Rook and Thom made up for that easily.  They were... awesome.


Writing: ★★★


I liked it, but didn't love it.


End Result: three stars.  A decent book, but not amazingly excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment