Friday, July 1, 2011

Review: Girl, Stolen



Cheyenne Wilder begs her stepmother to leave the keys in their car when she goes to fill Cheyenne's prescription.

Griffin stumbles on a shiny new car with the keys still in the ignition, sitting in the parking lot and practically begging to be taken.  He didn't realize there was a sick, blind girl in the backseat until it was too late...

Entertainment: 

It was pretty good, and had interesting character development.  I guess I would have liked it more, except that the cover and description had me thinking that this book was full of action and adventure and such.  In reality, even the action scenes were a bit... muted.  So it was a fine book, just a bit slower and more introspective than I had anticipated.

Plot: 

It was all right, just, as I previously mentioned, kind of slow.  Not a whole lot of action, and a lot of talking about feelings and what it's like to be blind.  That's just not my kind of book.  And there's a lot of "coincidences" that are a little too orchestrated.

Characters: 

Griffin was okay - sweet in a misguided, confused son way.  I didn't find Cheyenne particularly likable,  for no real reason that I can name.  I just didn't identify with her.  The villains weren't particularly dislikable, either, for that matter.  Really, I just didn't find any of the really relatable or all that interesting.

Writing: 

It was fairly well-written, aside from the random segues into discussions of blindness that really weren't relevant.

End Result: three stars.  A decent book, but not amazingly excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment