Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Review: The Frenzy

This book counts towards the Shifter challenge.




Liv has a secret: on her thirteenth birthday she lost control and turned into a beast.

With her prescription pills and her shrink and her boyfriend, she thought she had the wild rage, the frenzy, under control.  She was wrong.  Now she's seventeen, and it's happening again...

Entertainment: 

I didn't really like the cover, and it never really got better from there on in.  The characters were weird and I didn't connect with them, I outright disliked the plot, and I alternated being bored and confused for most of the story.

Plot: 

It's really incoherent and confusing at times.  Random snippets of (fairly important) information are thrown in at awkward times, leaving me thinking, "Well, it would've been nice to know that earlier."

Other than that, it starts off kinda slow and doesn't speed up all that much.  The foreshadowing was so obvious that none of the (what I assumed were supposed to be) surprise twists were really surprising.  The book ended on a bizarre note that didn't provide all that much closure.  I wasn't really impressed.

Characters: 

Liv was odd - I still don't understand hardly anything about her, and I certainly didn't connect with her.  She came off as cold and emotionless, except for her severe anger management issues.  Anger issues accentuated by her mood fluctuations when she decides sex works better to keep her under control than her medications - please don't try that at home.  Corey, her love interest, seemed to be defined entirely by his attraction to her - yeah, I can't think of anything at all I learned about him other than that he's black and obsessively in love with Liv.  Then there's Liv's random werewolf stalkers - who want her to kill people, and in turn kill the innocent relations of children that annoy her - and her dysfunctional family that shoots anything that moves.

Frankly, the whole cast was bizarre.  I really don't know what to say here.  It was just weird.

Writing: 

It was alright - a little disjointed, and it moved really fast without explaining, well, anything.  Not too bad, but not good enough to make the rest of the book work.

End Result: two stars.  I was not impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment