Sunday, March 13, 2011

Review: Paper Towns



Quentin, a smart, nerdy kid with perfect attendence, has spent years loving his childhood friend from afar.  Margo Roth Spiegelman is beautiful, crazy, popular... and she shows up outside Quentin's window one midnight, dressed like a ninja and looking for trouble.  She takes him on the ride of his life - a campaign of revenge on everyone who has ever hurt her and a series of brilliant pranks he will never forget.

In the morning they say goodbye, and she disappears.  Another messed-up runaway kid, gone for good, as far as the adults are concered.  But she left a series of clues behind.  And the clues are meant for Quentin...

Entertainment: ★★★★★

Basically, I loved this book.  I read it in one sitting, refusing to put it down.  The road trip scene had me laughing so hard I was getting funny looks from the people around me.  Yeah, it was amazing.

Plot: ★★★★

I liked the pranks, I liked the clues, I liked the treasure hunt, I really liked the road trip... I liked everything until the final scene.  The final scene I loved.

Characters: ★★★★★

Margo herself is never clarified too much, and remains an enigma even after finishing the book.  However, I liked most of the side characters, and I loved Quentin and Ben.  Their characterization is quirky, even bizarre at times, but in a very good way.

Writing: ★★★★★

Green manages to pack hilarious and touching into the same novel, and does it well.  The description is perfect, I loved the characterization, and I'd say Green is easily one of the most talented writers I've ever read.

End Result: five stars.  A really excellent book.  Read it.

1 comment:

  1. Great review!
    Lots of people say that John Green is an amazing writer. Ack! I need to pick up a book of his now!
    :D

    ReplyDelete