Friday, October 29, 2010

Fashion Friday, Costume Edition

This afternoon, as I was throwing together a costume at the last minute, it occurred to me that I should do a blog post about Halloween costumes.  It's mostly just a rambling post about my opinions on various costumes.

Old favorites: vampires, ghosts, you know the drill.  My brother's being a vampire this year.  If you want to go for it, go for it!  Some of the best costumes I've ever seen are based on the classics.  My advice to you, though, is to mix it up a little.  After a while, all the vampires start to look the same, and so do the ghosts and every other popular costume.  Another black cape ensemble isn't too impressive these days.  You can be different while still staying true to whatever you are.

Store-boughts: the costume that comes in a plastic bag, fully assembled for you.  I am 100% anti-store-boughts. If you are wearing one, well, I have to say I disapprove.  First of all, it's clearly the easy way out. Second, odds are that three other people will be wearing the same costume, wherever you go.  Finally, they just aren't that great.  None of them are original, none of them are creative, and every single one I've ever seen just looks fake.  Call me old-fashioned or close-minded or whatever, I will never like store-boughts.

Homemade: ranging from a sheet with eye holes in it to some really elaborate creations.  I'm a huge fan of these, even the ones that come out looking pretty stupid.  I admire people who put time, effort, and work into what they do, and that includes Halloween costumes.  You never run into somebody with the same costume - even if they're the same general idea, everybody goes about it in different ways.  Plus, I've worn a home-mader every year I've dressed up, so I'm pretty biased.

Slutty: seriously?  You can look really good and really chic on Halloween while wearing something besides underwear. 'Nuff said.

So, that's it, a pointless and overly opinionated post on Halloween costumes.  Are you dressing up?  What's your costume?

No comments:

Post a Comment